Thursday, March 8, 2012

Leslie an Austin icon will be forever missed


Today a man named Leslie Cochran passed away at age 60 here in Austin. Oh man did this guy just make you smile. He was widely known for being an attention loving, thong wearing, and cross dressing homeless man who use to roam around downtown Austin. He was always kind and friendly to everyone, and truly enjoyed just being himself.  This article today by the Austin Statesman here does a far better job in detailing this man's journey than I ever could. 

    I just wanted to share one of my personal stories with Leslie. I never really thought twice about the statement Leslie made with his attire and demeanor. I honestly always embraced him as part of Austin's personal slogan " Keep Austin Weird".  Until my mom came to visit Ricky and I a few years ago. We had just moved into a small loft in the downtown neighborhood of Clarksville, and I took my mom on a walk with Chloe to show her around the little neighborhood. Then in the middle of the walk, out of nowhere, a man wearing nothing but a thong and ladies high heels came strutting down the street.  I laughed so hard that I seriously had to stop and sit for a minute once I saw my mom's reaction to Leslie in public. She just didn't know what to think, but quickly laughed it off once she came to her senses again. Ever since then she traditionally keeps an eye out for him whenever she comes back to visit. I know she will be sad as well to see that tradition laid to rest. At least his memory will be kept alive since the mayor will later on today declare today "Leslie Day", and march downtown will be held in his honor. 
 I pray you found peace today Leslie - Love Di

1 comment:

  1. I live in Austin as well and I was so sad to hear about Leslie's passing...such an icon to the city! I just stumbled upon your blog today and I'm your newest follower. I would love for you to stop by my blog sometime :)

    http://www.wherenothinggoodcomeseasy.com

    ReplyDelete