Friday, April 6, 2012

Ladies Night and Key Lime Pie


 Happy Good Friday everyone! Also Happy Passover for all my Jewish friends!

Last night I met up with some girlfriends at Gibsons off of Lamar. The evening had the catch phrase “Bubbles and Ladies Night” because you can get an order of champagne , chocolates and strawberries as the ladies' night special. 


I didn’t partake in the champagne ( it kinda hurts my stomach after the first glass) ,but I did however have some nice refreshing beers . We sat out on the back patio while we played a few rowdy rounds of bingo. I feel like this night was long over due and I’m glad I made it out. 

This afternoon we are heading to Port Arkansas for the weekend to celebrate my mother in-law’s/ sister in-law’s birthday (they were both born on the same day) and Easter. Have a wonderful weekend! Luv- Di

Key Lime Pie recipe


Key Lime Pie (adapted from Bon Appetit)

Base
  • 1 ½ cups Graham cracker crumbs
  • ¼ cup sugar (optional)
  • ½ a stick of butter, melted
  • 2 tbsp. of Honey
  • ¾ tbsp. of cinnamon
Filling
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 4 large egg yolks
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  • ½ cup lime juice (from about 3 limes)
  • *Or about 1 ½ lb. of key limes freshly squeezed
  •  1 tbsp. finely grated key lime zest
To serve
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 3 tablespoons icing sugar, sifted


Preheat the oven to (350°F).
* The girl I originally grabbed the recipe from made her own graham crackers. I honestly don’t want to spend my time on that. So I usually purchase the pre made crumbs in a box, it is so easy and tastes great!
1. In a medium bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs and sugar (if using).
**( Optional add- ins) I opted out for the sugar, but instead added two table spoons in with butter before it melted and then heated them up together so that the honey dissolves into the butter. Then, drizzle the crumbs with the melted butter and stir until well combined. While stirring the mixture together I also added about ¾ of table spoon of cinnamon to the mixture.

2.  Press the mixture evenly onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake until set and golden brown, about 10 minutes. 

3. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Leave the oven on.

4. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or a large mixing bowl with a whisk or hand mixer, beat the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks.

5.  In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk. Add the lime juice and zest and whisk until combined.

 6. Gently fold in about 1/3 of the egg whites to lighten the mixture then add the remaining egg whites and fold until just evenly combined.

7.  Spread the mixture in the pre-baked crust and bake until just set in the center, about 20 minutes.

8.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely then refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. The pie can be baked and stored, covered, in the refrigerator, up to 3 days.

**To serve, combine the heavy cream and sugar in a bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Cut the pie into slices and top each with a dollop of whipped cream
I was a little disappointed when it looked like I  had way too much crust on this, but once you add whip cream along the edge it comes out perfect. I didn't add it for the picture because I wanted it to be fresh and I am not serving it until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment